So, I first came upon the idea of cloth diaper when we were trying to get pregnant. People on the Sewforums site made the CUTEST little cloth diapers and since I sewed, I wanted to do that too.
We got pregnant right away and I started sewing. I purchased terry cloth fabric and TONS of flannel from JoAnn's and went on my way to make a newborn stash that eventually consisted over 30 homemade diapers.
After I finished the newborns (and still pregnant) I started making some larger sizes. I purchased a HUGE lot of PUL really cheap and did some AOIs. I also bought some BumGenius and other brand diapers to compare patterns too.
Lacey was born on April 5, 2009 at 8lbs! Well guess what? The 30 diapers that I made just fit... and they gave her poor bum BAD rashes. I was sooo upset that I spent all the time and money making these diapers only for her to outgrow them in 2 weeks and leave a red bum. I *almost* called it quits right there.
Lessons learned: it's probably better to wait until the baby arrives to make/purchase too many diapers. Fit is always different and so are fabrics. While I am saving the 30 diapers for the next baby, I'm not hopeful that they will work any better. I would recommend anyone who wants to cloth diaper to start with a trial package to figure out what you want and then make your purchases!
Oh no! I can't believe that happened to you. What a bummer. Next time, if your next still gets a rash, maybe try adding fleece liners to wick the moisture away from their bums?
ReplyDeleteHow disappointing! Did you have better luck with the larger diapers you made?
ReplyDeleteDid you use any kind of bum spray like Kissaluv's lotion potion or California Baby's diaper area wash? I've heard that those are supposed to help with the transition to cloth diapers and diaper rash in general. I wish I had your sewing skills and confidence! Wow! I hope those diapers work out for you.
ReplyDeleteNow I am using suedecloth and making all pocket diapers - these work great. We will try to use the other diapers again... thanks for the great suggestions!
ReplyDelete